Re: What is vintage?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What is vintage?
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 15:23:39 PDT
>[from Jim Hayes]
>
>>Hell, folks, I think vintage racing ought to be limited to cars with a
>>period race history!

[From Dave Page]

>Well that would certainly thin out the grids wouldn't it?  It would also
>add an element of exclusivity to what we do and make the cubic dollar
>issue even more prominent.

This would do little or nothing to the formula car and sports racer
grids.  These cars were all purpose-built for racing and therefore have
SOME racing history, no matter how unspectacular.  What it would do is
decimate the production car grids.

It might be a nice idea for a small number of exclusive events, but not
a good idea in general.  All it would do is drive the entry fees up.
It's expensive to rent a race track, no matter how you slice it.  Clubs
have to bring in cars with no actual race history to keep the fees
down.  It's just a fact of life.

Besides, there is a fine tradition of streetable cars being driven to
the event that must also be considered.  People did it back then, they
should be allowed to do it now, IMO.