Re: What is Vintage?

To: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?
From: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:03:31 -0400
DWhitesdJr@aol.com wrote:

> JIm Hayes is right.  If the purpose of vintage racing (as expressed by
> several sactioning bodies) is to preserve old race cars,  then participation
> should be limited to those cars with verifiable contemporary race history,
> and those cars should be configured as close as possible to the way they
> raced.  The only problem with this concept is that the vintage "cottage
> industry" has grown so much that there are too many vested interests
> (sanctiong groups, "non-qualifying" car owners,  prep shops, dealers, etc.)
> to let such an idea take hold.
Agreed, and agreed.
For sure, there would also suddenly be many cars with "histories"
magically  appearing whose owners/restorers must have majored in
creative writing! I think the horse is out of the barn and long gone for
Jim's idea to work, but it would have been nice. Hey, how about a new
club? Or series?
Susan