Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us (Thom Kuby)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 18:22:37 -0700
>> This might be a good subject for some web pages, and I'd be glad make a
>>section
>> on the vintage racing web for any pages folks are willing to send me about
>> reccommended mods to their favourite cars. (Or, is anyone else is willing to
>> compile examples?)  Some quick examples (how many does your car have or not,
>> and which ones might your club not allow?):
>>
>> Larger diameter wheel studs- requires modification of brake drums, hubs &
>> wheels.
>>
>> Wire wheels- higher spoke count wheels, higher quality spokes.
>>
>> Disk wheels- use modern alloy wheels, no "old fatigued" steel wheels, or even
>> older alloys?
>>
>> Spridget: double bearing hubs- reduces stresses on outside of 1/2 shaft.
>>
>> "Competition" 1/2 shafts. (higher grade steel)
>>
>> Uprated front spindles, steering arms, links, etc.
>>
>> What else folks?
>>
>>  ________________________________________________________________________
>>  Roger Garnett  (rwg@autox.team.net)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
>>  Team.net Webmaster  http://www.team.net/www/
>
>What is this telling you? go slower! or go elsewhere!
>If you want to race, go to a race club (i.e. SCCA or PSR). If you want
>to have fun with your vintage car, preserve it and enjoy it for what it
>is. You guys are taking these old parts far faster than they were able
>to go when new.
>JMHO
>Susan

I think Susan has got a real good point there, guys...I for one wouldn't be
so hell-bent on all these upgrades for oh, let's say, a '52 Allard
J2X...rather I'd be more inclined to go a little slower and  just hangout
and listen to the pipes...  But if an actual part is dangerous or broken,
then change it for the sake of safety, as opposed to the sake of the  "go
faster/upgrade" route...JMHO as well.

cheers
Thom Kuby
'68 912 Porsche (soon to be vintage race ready)