Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 09:17:24 -500
On 24 May 97 at 8:35, Dick Rothman wrote:

> One would think that at the very least competition axles would be mandatory on
> any vehicle that could lose a wheel if the axle breaks.

While a good thought, this could get pretty deep, and put many cars of the
track for good if parts are not available. While part of truely good
preperation is to use upgraded parts where possible, they are often very
expensive, or not obtainable. Hey, not even professional teams can catch them
all!

There are numerous places that such failures can occur, many of which require
modifications, some which may or may not be "in the vintage spirit", or may
change outward appearence. Also, while some mods are covered by suppliers, or
in books about a peticular car, others are not. Many such mods might require
custom fabrication.

This might be a good subject for some web pages, and I'd be glad make a section
on the vintage racing web for any pages folks are willing to send me about
reccommended mods to their favourite cars. (Or, is anyone else is willing to
compile examples?)  Some quick examples (how many does your car have or not,
and which ones might your club not allow?):

Larger diameter wheel studs- requires modification of brake drums, hubs &
wheels.

Wire wheels- higher spoke count wheels, higher quality spokes.

Disk wheels- use modern alloy wheels, no "old fatigued" steel wheels, or even
older alloys?

Spridget: double bearing hubs- reduces stresses on outside of 1/2 shaft.

"Competition" 1/2 shafts. (higher grade steel)

Uprated front spindles, steering arms, links, etc.

What else folks?

 Roger Garnett  (rwg@autox.team.net)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
 Team.net Webmaster  http://www.team.net/www/