Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:26:56 -0400
Roger Garnett wrote:

> On 24 May 97 at 8:35, Dick Rothman wrote:
>
> > One would think that at the very least competition axles would be mandatory
>on
> > any vehicle that could lose a wheel if the axle breaks.
>

> Larger diameter wheel studs- requires modification of brake drums, hubs &
> wheels.
>
> Wire wheels- higher spoke count wheels, higher quality spokes.
>
> Disk wheels- use modern alloy wheels, no "old fatigued" steel wheels, or even
> older alloys?
>
> Spridget: double bearing hubs- reduces stresses on outside of 1/2 shaft.
>
> "Competition" 1/2 shafts. (higher grade steel)
>
> Uprated front spindles, steering arms, links, etc.
>
> What else folks?
>
>  ________________________________________________________________________
>  Roger Garnett  (rwg@autox.team.net)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
>  Team.net Webmaster  http://www.team.net/www/

Roger -

The upgraded items you mention in your letter may be expensive, but not
as expensive as damaged race cars and bodily injury.  I would not
consider putting my car on the track without all of these competition
items and more.  After all, these 30 year old British sporty cars we
race are NOT racing cars, nor were they designed to be.  We make racing
cars out of them.  Any way you can strengthen your car and its
components, makes it safer.  When I started racing in SCCA in the early
60's, we were required to have critical parts such as axles, steering
arms, etc. magnafluxed annually, and had to produce the magnafluxing
certificates at tech.  Not such a bad idea today.

I also feel we need to have "driver/observers" at the events.  People
who drive recklessly, or erratically, or who DON'T USE THEIR MIRRORS,
should be warned.  Repeated warnings could lead to suspension.  We also
need to have cars of the same approximate speed on the track at the same
time.  This is especially true during enduros where sometimes cars with
a 30 or even 40 second lap time differential are on the track at the
same time. This is a recipe for disaster.

P.S - I like your website.  It's neat.  Anyone who raced in the "old
days" has to have a soft spot in their heart for Bugeye Sprites.

                ~~~~ Dick