Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 10:57:23 -0400 (EDT)
Dick,
Actually there were a total of 4 rolls, the axles were aftermarket alloy
from California and showed no sign of problems beforehand. Jeff refers to
the Summitt Bros. axles which are the ultimate in safe set-ups which were
ordered and will absolutely be a part of the next car. We are already
working on the repair/rebuild . Actually aftermarket axles ARE required for
Spitfires in SVRA, thats why we had them. They failed. The next set are the
same ones Kent Bain has run in a manner not possible for my car. We have all
had some close calls when others near us have had collisions, blown engines
or taken a wrong line. It is as a result of experience and fast thinking we
protect ourselves and those friends we race with.
The car, by the way landed on it's 3 remaining wheels, and as a result of
the roll bar being built a full 6" over the top of the helmet and my
insistance on always using a support collar, I suffered no neck or head
injuries.
My thanks to Jim for not tagging me. I had enough going on at the moment. Do
extend my regards to him, I neglected to wave to him as he went by.

I will be back at Watkins if not sooner.
Kindest regards.
Russ Moore
Spitfire #49