Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 10:29:48 -0700
Roger Garnett wrote:

> What else folks?

Roger, many of us racing TR3s & TR4s had experienced broken rear hubs
over the last couple of years.  With the help of my ace mechanic, Glen
Efinger, we redesigned and manufactured "billet" rear hubs to eliminate
the weak areas, since there was nothing on the market to replace the old
design with.  We have solved the hub problem and are now starting to
break the rear axles.  Although, in each case the break was caused from
fatique, and slight cracking existed that was not caught by the "shop"
method of die penetrant checking.  There are no "competition" axles
available that we can find, and are investigating the manufacture of
these axles using modern materials.  In the meantime all we can do is
upgrade the testing proceedure to a flourescent particle inspeciton and
trust that will find the fatiqued axles before we find them the "hard"
way!

There are also upgraded TR front hubs available from England which are
quite expensive, and I'm sure not everyone is using them.

Let's hear it for upgraded equipment and safety equipment!!!!

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing