Rolling Spitfire

To: Vintage Racing <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rolling Spitfire
From: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 08:35:08 -0400
At Summit Point this past weekend I was paddocked next to Russ Moore who
was driving what appeared to be a properly prepared Triumph Spitfire.
During the first practice session on Friday morning, a left (outside)
rear axle broke on his car in turn one, and axle, hub, wheel, etc. went
flying one way, while the car flew another, doing at least two fairly
spectacular endos before coming to rest on its roll bar.  Jim
Netterstrom, who was really hauling in his Super Seven, was setting up
to pass the Spitfire when this happened.  He very nearly collected Russ
in mid air.  Jim is a very experienced and accomplished driver.  Someone
with less ability may not have been able to avoid hitting Russ.

Russ was taken to the hospital. Fortunately, with the exception of 3
broken ribs, he was O.K.  The Spitfire didn't fare as well.  It was
crumpled up into a little ball of twisted sheetmetal.  His crew later
told me that "the competition axles are on back-order and were due to be
delivered next week".  True!!!

The point is obvious.  One person's mechanical failure can cause damage
and possibly injury to another driver.  Had this occurred at the start
of the race, it could have been  - well, I hate to think about it.  One
would think that at the very least competition axles would be mandatory
on any vehicle that could lose a wheel if the axle breaks.

                ~~~ Dick Rothman
                        Turner Mk. III