Re: Rolling Spitfire

To: Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Subject: Re: Rolling Spitfire
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 10:56:20 -0400 (EDT)
Susan,
I am the person who was at the helm of the Spitfire and know the whole story.
All suspension parts were uprated well beyond the strenth and design
parameters of the original components. The axles were not stock as an
uninformed lister mentioned, nor did the car land and come to rest on it's
roll bar. I know this, I was in it.
As a result of advanced safety components I am fine after 4 roll overs. In
the true Vintage days, I would have died as a result of the safety equipment
of the day.
I don't understand how some folks unaware of what has transpired at an event
feel obligated to go on about it, usually with misinformation and
conclusions arrived at under false assumptions. Dick was way off base on his
account which is strangely unique given that he had no idea of how to wire
brake lights until my crew assisted him and did it for him.
Vintage is where this car and many others belong. If we wanted to drive at
30 mph we would drive our cars to the local pub and crow about it's past
history. We are helping to continue the history of these cars. As an aside I
have been involved with Triumph sportcars since I was 16, some 30 odd years
ago, I have over 25 examples of the cars in my possesion and work very
closely with a number of large suppliers in testing replacement parts. The
Spitfire in question is a vehicle I saved from the wreckers yard and was
built up from scratch. I know every bolt and square inch of the car, I
replace the hardware each year with aircraft grade fasteners and spend more
time preparing the car for a race than most folks spend in maintaining their
cars over their lifetime.
Vintage racing is one of the finast venues to exercise these cars imaginable.

By the way, how long have you been racing and what vintage events have you
attended in the last 5 years?

Perhaps I'll see you at the track

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49
President and Founder of the Fingerlakes Triumph Club