RE: GT6 Oil drain plug

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6 Oil drain plug
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:22:33 -0500 (EST)
--- Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:

> The standard plug has a 7/16" square male head, same
> as most other Triumphs, so
> yours has been replaced. (According to my GT6
> catalog, I've never owned a GT6)

This is what threw me off when I had my wrench in hand
last night. Every reference I have to the GT6 drain
plug is a square male head.

> Could be either, but I'd say hex is more likely.
> The plugs I like to use take a
> 1/4" hex "Allen" wrench.

I have an allen key that (very) tightly fits the oil
pressure relief plug, but it has no size marked on it
and there is not enough room between the sump and the
frame to check it there (that is how little room there
is).

> They are standard 1/4" pipe threads (assuming
> someone hasn't modified the pan as
> well), so Home Depot will have a plug virtually
> identical to the original.
> Probably your auto parts store will, too.

I'll check. Thanks.

> But you might consider keeping the hex socket plug
> (if that's what it is).
> They're less apt to round off, and easier to work
> with in tight quarters.

But there is no room to get a socket in there, so male
would probably be easier in this case.

Cameron

===     http://www.vtr.org