GT6 Oil drain plug

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Oil drain plug
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:56:16 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

I went to do my first oil change on my '71 GT6 last
night and ran into a problem straight away. I had
never looked at the drain plug before, but it is one
that takes a male wrench. And I don't have any
wrenches for this (yet). Would anyone know what size
it is? Square or hex (hex I think but I couldn't tell
for sure last night in my poorly lit, cramped,
unheated garage). The oil pressure relief valve has a
female hex head, so I would suspect the drain plug is
the same. Yes?

I am going to replace it with a male plug right away
if I can. Can one get those from a regular auto parts
store or are they special threads and I have to buy
from the specialty shops?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron
'71 GT6