RE: GT6 Oil drain plug

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 Oil drain plug
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:08:52 -0800
> > But you might consider keeping the hex socket plug
> > (if that's what it is).
> > They're less apt to round off, and easier to work
> > with in tight quarters.
>
> But there is no room to get a socket in there, so male
> would probably be easier in this case.

The problem as I've experienced it is that the stock plugs are very apt to round
off when you're removing them with an open-end wrench.  For that reason it's
better to use something that grips all 4 corners, like an 8 point socket or one
of Joe Alexander's square wrenches.  Or, as I've done, you can use a hex socket
plug (which is much shorter than a standard pipe plug) and cut off the short leg
of a "long arm" 1/4" hex key so it will fit into tight quarters.

Another suggestion is to use 'Teflon' pipe dope (also available at Home Depot)
on the plug threads when installing.  Then you don't have to tighten the plug so
much to keep it from leaking, and it will come out easier next time.  Using dope
instead of tape ensures that there are no 'threads' to possibly get loose and
plug a critical passage.

HTH
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org