Re: GT6 Oil drain plug

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 Oil drain plug
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:35:22 -0500
On 23 Nov 2005 at 9:56, Cameron Rooke wrote:

> I went to do my first oil change on my '71 GT6 last
> night ...but it is one that takes a male wrench
> Would anyone know what size it is?

Nope.  As others have said, that's not the original plug.

Three decades ago when I was driving Fiats, I discovered that Fiat
used an Allen head oil drain plug, 12mm.  So I bought one from the
local Snap-On truck.  Couldn't find that size anywhere, not even
Sears at the time.  It seemed expensive.  I sold the X-1/9 before
moving to Cambridge, and that wrench worked its way to the very
bottom of my secondary toolbox, the one holding all my metric tools
which aren't too useful on a Spitfire.  Then about 5 or 6 years ago
the Italian girl living across the street bought on a whim a very
nicely restored Fiat 850 Spider.  A old-car-nut friend of hers came
over to help her fix a few minor items and found that drain plug, had
no idea what it was.  I happened to be hanging around visiting and
watching, and I said "Aha!  I've got just the tool for that!"  Sure
enough, that 12mm did the trick.

You just never know when the carousel will come around again, but it
usually does if you wait long enough...

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com