Re: CAM2 Racing Fuel

To: E Klos <chevynova@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: CAM2 Racing Fuel
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: kmr@pil.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, E Klos wrote:

> > Now I need to point out the part about "not for highway use" or whatever
> > the warning says - they aren't kidding. Please please please don't use
> this
> > fuel for on-road driving. It is illegal in all 50 US states, as far as I
>

> I've heard this before, what is the basis for the law?

The basis is the Environmental Protection Agency.

And the Clean Air Act.

And other laws.

Lead in fuel has been banned in the USA for about 12 years.

> Is it just the same
> as the cheap kerosene, in that it hasn't been taxed for road use?

No, it's nothing like that at all.

As far as the high price, I'm sure it's simple "supply/demand". As near as
I know there are _no_ road taxes on race fuel. There aren't any road taxes
on AvGas either... now if you filled a car with AvGas, that would be a
violation of tax code.

See - this is what happens when you let lawyers run everything.

;-)

> Also, how
> the hell is anyone gonna know that I am running the race fuel in my street
> car?

Well, if an EPA agent saw you fill your car at a gas pump, the pump would
be closed down, the owner would loose whatever permits they need to sell
and you can be fined and put in jail.

Other than that, nothing would happen.

But this isn't about what you can get away with. The existance of these
fuels' availability right now is because folks lobbied hard 15 years ago
to keep them available. Otherwise, a lot of planes could not fly, a lot of
race cars couldn't run and other "stuff" would have happened.

> I've run it in my truck a couple times out of curiosity, didn't do
> much but drain my wallet faster.  Is a cop really gonna crack open my carb
> bowls to look?

No. But like I said, EPA for sure, local authorites for sure and probably
DOT could all take a fuel sample and you can be held accountable for the
results. That's the law.

> Eric Klos   Metro Detroit area, Michigan
> 1989 Saab 900-usually daily driver, currently in storage with bad trans

later,
rml