RE: CAM2 Racing Fuel

Subject: RE: CAM2 Racing Fuel
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:33:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
E Klos wrote :

> I've heard this before, what is the basis for the law?  Is it
> just the same
> as the cheap kerosene, in that it hasn't been taxed for road use?

In addition to the road tax issue (which does apply), there are also Federal
standards for composition of motor fuel to be used on public roads (eg lead
content, sulfur content, etc.)  Remember, the EPA is above the law.

>  Also, how
> the hell is anyone gonna know that I am running the race fuel in my street
> car?  I've run it in my truck a couple times out of curiosity, didn't do
> much but drain my wallet faster.  Is a cop really gonna crack open my carb
> bowls to look?

It's certainly unlikely, unless you're suspected of running race fuel for
some reason.  OTOH, the penalties are pretty severe ($25,000 for a first
offense, as I recall).

Randall