Re: CAM2 Racing Fuel

To: kmr@pil.net
Subject: Re: CAM2 Racing Fuel
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 19:02:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I have used this fuel in my _race car_. It works "real good" if your
compression ratio is "up there". I use the 110 octane in a motor (TR6)
that's around 11.0:1 and get no knocking or pinking even with about 30
degrees total ignition advance.

Now I need to point out the part about "not for highway use" or whatever
the warning says - they aren't kidding. Please please please don't use this
fuel for on-road driving. It is illegal in all 50 US states, as far as I
know. Some of this racing fuel contains lead and we all know why that is
banned. My general point is that with a lot of the older race cars we do
need this fuel. Please don't jeopardize that use for us by using the fuel
in your street car.

CAM2 is sold in New England by New England Race Fuels and the fuel is in
fact produced by Sunoco. The cost varies as a function of the retailer,
I've paid as little as $3.69 per US gallon up to $4.65 per US gallon at
stations within 20 miles of one another (and the delivery is from the same
source!)

It's "good stuff", but really only for racing use. There is no advantage to
using it in any motor but airplanes and race motors that have
compression/timing that are borderline "hairy".

C ya,
rml