RE: CAM2 Racing Fuel

Subject: RE: CAM2 Racing Fuel
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:46:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
E Klos wrote :

> Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the race fuel I
> buy at the
> pumps, and a 92octane gas mixed with over the counter octane boosters?

Legally, the pump gas has been taxed, and both the pump gas and the over the
counter additive have been orificially blessed by the EPA.  Race fuel is
neither.

Physically, the composition topic is way more complicated than I can handle,
but basically I don't believe you can add enough OTC octane enhancer to
match CAM-2, without running into other problems.  Most OTC products either
use toluene, or less commonly, MMT as an active ingredient.  Toluene doesn't
enhance octane by very much, it's R+M/2 is only 102.5, so a 50/50 mix of it
and 92 octane pump gas would only be (very roughly) 97 octane.  MMT is more
effective, but will foul plugs at high concentrations.

Check out
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/index.html
for more than you ever wanted to know about gasoline and octane.

Randall