Re: Battery

To: michaelgajic@hotmail.com, tr6@pipeline.com, mgs@autox.team.net, mg-t@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:18:44 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/01 10:10:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
michaelgajic@hotmail.com writes:

<< They use thin lead plates wound into a tight spiral (see tehcnical section
 on their site). Do you think they would be any good in a car? >>

People on other lists have used the Optima spiral batteries with fair
success.  Some report the batteries intolerance to deep discharge ( Interior
light left on over nite ).  After a few cycles of this drain the battery is
now worn out.  The construction may have been changed at some point, I can't
say.  I've never used one, but for the price I'd buy a Delco.

A oversized battery will provide more useful life.  Think of the bat as a
liquid fuel tank.  The tank is 50 gallons full when new, the starter takes 4
gallons for a normal start.  As the engine runs, the generator/alternator
refills the "tank".  As the battery wears out, the capacity becomes less 45,
40,  30, 16,  4,  2 <oops car won't crank :+(

A discharged battery  isn't dead, it's out of electricity ( it is merely
resting  ;+).    A dead battery doesn't have any capacity left.

I like Delcos :+)

Harold