Re: Overheating Fixed

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Overheating Fixed
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:53:48 -0400
Message text written by Trevor Boicey
>  However, the water pump in an engine is turning all the time. It
>might actually work out to LESS resistance to have the water flowing
>with the pump than to have the pump continuously working against
>an obstruction and having the impellers churning in the fluid.

--- I agree completely.  You make an excellent point.   I was not really
thinking clearly about the instance of automotive application, and
I should have considered the fact that the pump runs at engine speed.
If the thermostat is obstructing flow, then it would cause more pumping
losses.  To a certain extent it does not obstruct _that_ much flow as
it really acts as a diverter-mixer valve.

>  I'm just opening this can, I'm not going down that road. ;>

>> P.S.  There can be TOO much cooling.  There is an optimum
>> operating temperature of an engine.

>  The thermostat (if installed) takes care of this however. If
>the engine is running too cool, then the circuit to the radiator
>is blocked.
<
---- Right, if installed.  I had thought we were discussing the case of
a removed thermostat, where there would be no control of the temp.
The 'stat is not really all that important except in cool weather and
during warmup.

-Tony