Re: Overheating Fixed

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating Fixed
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:41:34 -0400
Cc: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Tony Rhodes wrote:
> But in real life that is a problem because as you try to push the fluid
> through faster you incur greater energy expenditure as pumping
> losses.

  This may not be true in the automotive case.

  In the general case, this is true, because you control the pump
and you "turn it down" to get less velocity and to expend
less energy.

  However, the water pump in an engine is turning all the time. It
might actually work out to LESS resistance to have the water flowing
with the pump than to have the pump continuously working against
an obstruction and having the impellers churning in the fluid.

  I'm just opening this can, I'm not going down that road. ;>

> P.S.  There can be TOO much cooling.  There is an optimum
> operating temperature of an engine.

  The thermostat (if installed) takes care of this however. If
the engine is running too cool, then the circuit to the radiator
is blocked.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/