Re: Overheating fixed

To: Andrew Dixon <adixon@loudoun.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating fixed
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:51:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Dixon wrote:
> If I let the
> water run fast, it was still cool at the outlet and the wort took forever to
>cool
> down, while if I slowed down the flow of water it was hot enough at the outlet
> that I couldn't hold my hand under it and it sped up the cooling process.

  The TEMPERATURE of the water coming out may have been lower if you
flow fast, but the heat content would be the same or more.

  You are heating up more water to a lesser temperature, instead of
less water to a higher temperature.

  Look at it this way, if the water going into the coil is cold
and the water coming out is hot, then the water in the middle
of the coil is somewhere in the middle, we'll call it "warm".

  Because the coil there is only warm, it isn't absorbing as much
heat from the vat as if it were cold. (see thermodynamics)

  Ideally, to remove as much heat from the vat as possible, keep
the coil as cold as possible. This is what happens when you flowed
the water fast.

  Try this at home: Turn on the tap full-hot and full-blast. Tell
me if it's any easier to keep your finger in the stream. ;> You won't
find that the water will move "too fast to conduct heat into your
skin".

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/