Re: Overheating Fixed

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating Fixed
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 09:38:29 +0000
Cc: trevor boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, "internet:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Remember though the way it works, the water heats in the engin, and goes
out the top into the radiator where it cools and goes to the bottom, you
take the cool water from the bottom, an that goes into the engin and so
on.   The pump just assists that flow, over coming friction, and
enebleing you to have the lucturies such as a heater, a thermostat to
keep the engin at the correct temperature, and a cooled inlet manifold.
The cooling would happen even if there was not a pump.

How many central heating systems are there where you don't have a pump
just rely on that principal.  Our last one was, the new one has a pump
because is't higher than the rest of the system!

The other thing is with the radiator you wan't a very slow flow so that
the coolent is a lot cooler at the bottom than the top, thats why they
make them so wide.  This way you take cool water into the engin.

This system is much more effiecant than a temperature equilisation
system, which is how I think some see the system.  You could think of
that systems as an air cooled engin, with water and a raiator to replace
the fins.  Rather than a system that maximises the temperature diference
between in and out of both engin and radiator.

--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot