Re: Overheating

To: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:37:50 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Neil Penberthy wrote:

> Trevor talks about overheating.
>
> Removing the thermostat may (as Joe correctly states) show a lower gage
> reading. Not a cooler engine. The reason is that heat transfer relates to
> the speed of the water through the system. If you heat a pan of water for a
> shorter time it is cooler right ?

  The false assumption in that is that it's not the same
water. It's not analogous to a car.

  An engine uses a small amount of water that goes around
and around. We aren't talking about heating a pan of water
for a short time or a long time.

  What we are talking about are alternate heating and cooling
cycles that always have the same size ratio in percentage.

  If you run the water twice as fast, the water goes through
the radiator twice as fast BUT ALSO TWICE AS OFTEN.

  Look at it from the point of view of the radiator, not
the water. When the radiator is hottest, it's losing the
most heat.

  All parts of the water liner in the radiator are in
contact with hot water all the time. It doesn't care which
molecule of hot water, it doesn't matter that they change
quickly or slowly.

  The point is that the radiator inner core is always touching
hot water, absorbing heat from it, and getting warm.

  Guys, you gotta get past this, you can't argue that 1+1 is
3 no matter how "intuitive" it may seem. It just isn't.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/