Re: Brake frustrations

To: Andrew Dixon <adixon@loudoun.com>
Subject: Re: Brake frustrations
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:08:52 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 1 May 1998, Andrew Dixon wrote:

> On the topic of the PDWA, I firmly believe one should go through the
> centering technique whichever method one uses. It's purpose is to shift
> braking power from a leak in the front or rear.

Well, no, not really. The Pressure Differential Warning Actuator (Warning
being the keyword here) only serves to indicate a problem in the system.
If there is any "fail-safe" at all in the braking system relative to
shifting braking power from a leak, that would be in the dual master
cylinder (I think that is what the "tipping valve" does.)

> When you bleed the brakes
> you create a leak and I've found any method causes the PDWA to shift.

Again, you don't create a leak when the PDWA shifts. All you do is
activate the warning light circuit by means of a mechanical shift of bits
within the PDWA. Perfectly normal brakes can be experienced with the PDWA
"uncentered." And it is quite possible, although not always easy, to
bleed brakes successfully without disturbing the PDWA.

I'll grant you that sometimes it is as hard or harder to recenter the PDWA
than it is to get it "uncentered" during bleeding. And I'll also grant you
that when the PDWA itself DOES start to leak, you've got a whole new set
of problems!

--Andy