Re: oil pressure / starting a car

To: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: oil pressure / starting a car
From: Robert Verde <Robert_Verde@pgn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:44:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, carbuff@scooter.net
I used to see ads for a Accusump (sp?) oil accumulator.  It was described as
holding a quart or two of engine oil upon engine shutdown, which oil was
released upon starting to oil the valve train/rocker arm assemblies during the
first few seconds.  I have also seen pictures of it installed on some featured
(American) hot rods in Car Craft and similar publications.

Has anyone used a unit like this?

Robert Verde

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 02/19 9:28 AM >>>
Romano,
Your hypothesis appears to be correct.  That is why all the new items
are showing up on the shelves of the auto parts stores.  Things like
"Slick 50", etc.

I had a '79 Buick Riviera that has an Air Research turbocharger mounted
on a V6.  Since the turbo ws oiled by engine oil, it was dry after
sitting all night.  My wife had a habit of getting in, starting up and
taking off.  Needless to say, I had to rebuild the turbo after 30,000
miles.  The guy at the shop who rebuilt it said they make a gravity
oiler that cures the problem.  It pumps oil into a reservoir above the
turbo unit and after the engine is turned off, the oil drips down into
the turbo and keeps the bearings wet.  Maybe we need something like that
for LBC engines that sit idle for long periods.

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing