Re: oil pressure / starting a car

To: carbuff@scooter.net (Atwell Haines)
Subject: Re: oil pressure / starting a car
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:46:21 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell-

>At 11:12 AM 2/17/98 +0000, Romano Kroemer wrote:
>>Listers,
>>
>>after the recent threads about oil-filters with drain-back valves and
>>  starting cars after long storage, I thought I would share my car-starting
>>  method with this list:
>
><snip>
>
>My understanding of the wear incurred at start-up is thus:
>
>It is the strain of engine compression on the pistons, pressing on the
>cylinder walls and crankshaft, that are bad.   Cycling the engine without
>starting it does nothing to reduce this wear.

.. but this compression is always there, also when the engine is running.

My understanding of wear at start-up is that there is no oil where it should
  be for some seconds, while the engine is revving already at 1000+ rpm. Then
  the oil-pump has done enough work to distribute the oil and the oil-pressure
  has come up.

So, if I cycle/revv the engine at a lower rpm (with the starter motor only),
  until I have distributed the oil/built up oil-pressure, I should induce
  less wear.

Am I missing something here? Enlightment please!

- Romano

--
Dr. Romano T. Kroemer
Phys. & Theoret. Chem. Lab.