Re: oil pressure / starting a car

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: oil pressure / starting a car
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:01:13 -0500
Cc: Romano Kroemer <romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk>, Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:
> I had a '79 Buick Riviera that has an Air Research turbocharger mounted
> on a V6.  Since the turbo ws oiled by engine oil, it was dry after
> sitting all night.  My wife had a habit of getting in, starting up and
> taking off.  Needless to say, I had to rebuild the turbo after 30,000
> miles.

  Usually the problem there isn't starting, it's stopping. The turbo is
spinning at 100,000+ rpm, and continues to spin after the engine is shut
down and oil pressure stops.

  You are supposed to let the engine idle for 30 seconds before shutting
it off, this lets the turbo spin down.

  A more foolproof alternative is to install a turbo-timer, which does
this for you. (walk away, car runs for a few more seconds, then
stops on it's own).

--

Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada