oil pressure / starting a car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil pressure / starting a car
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:12:26 +0000 (GMT)
Listers,

after the recent threads about oil-filters with drain-back valves and
  starting cars after long storage, I thought I would share my car-starting
  method with this list:

(1) I have a ignition cut-out switch installed under the dashboard in a
  hidden way (this gives me at least some minutes of extra-protection in
  case someone wants to get the car)

(2) I have an oil pressure guage installed as well

(3) When I want to start the car, I interrupt the ignition and turn the
  engine over with the starter until I have an oil pressure of approx. 20 psi.

(4) Then I "activate" the ignition, pull the choke (if necessary), and start
  again. The engine always fires up at the first time then.

The advantages (according to my opinion):
(1) There is at least some oil-pressure when the engine starts
(2) I believe that in the end of the day the car starts more easily like
       that (fuel system 'primed' ?)

The disadvantages:
(1) You need a solid battery
(2) By-passers might think that you have a problem when you turn the engine
  over for 20-30 seconds (seems to be a long time when you do it), without
  any signs of firing up.

What do you think?

Romano
'77 Spit