Re: on a mission for an automatic transmission

To: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: on a mission for an automatic transmission
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 06:43:08 +0100
Friends,
not only will there be problems with the different ancillaries
to the automatic trans - there will be a whole lot of frame in
the way also... :-(

This exact fitment was done by the OEM in Coventry on a Vitesse
in the good old days. It was a one off ordered by a stubborn
customer if I'm not misremembering things. In a Courier from
lots of years ago there are pictures of the car, frame etc. It
was photographed during a rebuild and it was clearly visible in
the pictures that they had had to remove and reconstruct a large
portion of the main frame rails [in front of the middle of the
prop shaft length...] in order to make room for the BW35... From
the pictures it looked like a hard to do conversion without the
recourses of the OEM company engineers.

On the positive was the handling of the car which was described
as nice and smooth I think. But, please this is all taken from
my memory. It might be getting hazy with time.

But I vividly remember those pictures, since they killed off all
the plans/dreams I had on using my stashed away Toyoglide [from
a '70 Toyota Crown Sedan] Toyota-made direct copy of the BW35
[with far better and nicer looking casting and finish] in a GT6
I was aiming on buying for use as everyday transport in the
winter months. I bought the Jetta instead... ;-(
Yours
/Odd

--

Odd Hedberg