Re: on a mission for an automatic transmission

To: Waradime <Waradime@aol.com>
Subject: Re: on a mission for an automatic transmission
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 10:21:35 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, Waradime wrote:

> yes that's right, one and all, i am looking for some type of transmission that
> will bolt right into my 70 gt6+ mkII with no modifications *(or at least as
> few as possible).
>                                    1.  AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Offhand, I'd guess that the easiest AT to swap in would be the
Borg-Warner (Type 35?) from a Triumph 2000 sedan, assuming you can find a
scrapped auto. sedan with the bits you'd need. I suspect that almost
anything else would requires LOTS and LOTS of fabrication and grief. Even
the 2000's auto trans. will require some adapting.

> and i want some nice fat wide tires,  what my max size,  i like a luxurious
> ride?   also what company makes wheel, like minilites, of various types so i
> can have some choices on what to buy?  i've already checked out wire wheels,
> minilites and turbin style wheels.   where can i find other kinds to fit.

Most all of the major Triumph suppliers (The Roadster Factory, Moss
Motors, Victoria British, etc.) have various wheels available such as the
Panasport, which looks a lot like the "Minilite" wheel. Without body
modifications, I'm not quite sure you could go much wider than a 185
(either 70 or 60 series) tire. Also, when you throw in the "luxurious
ride" qualifier, that might well be contradictory to excessively wide
tires, especially shorter profiles (such as the 60 series).

--Andy