Re: Gunson Gastester MK 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gunson Gastester MK 2
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:18:54
> O' Faithful Ones,
>
> Help! My club (ISOA) has a Gunson gastester MK2 CO% tester and I even got my
> hands on it to tweak my 74 TR-6 fuel mixture. Trouble is everybody has left
> for VTR and there were no instuctions with the tester unit. Does anybody know
> how to fly this contraption?

> I think the sensor wand goes on the top diaphram thingy, the 8" tube on the
> middle, and the little tube on the bottom. I have calibrated it to "2" but I
> don't get any result when I pop it in my exhaust pipe  It  just stays on "2".
> If I hit the switch, the needle pegs to the "check" position and just parks
> there. Is this just to verify 12v? Am I supposed to hear a beep? Does God
> exist for Triumph owners like me, who can't attend VTR to defend their 1995
> auto-x titles?

I'll see if i can help Mike,

I havn't got my unit with me at the moment so I'm doing this from
memory.  When you switch to "check" the deflection is just to verify
12 V as you say. You dont get a beep. The small tube is just a water
drain and can only fit in one position which I think is at the
bottom.  If the other tubes are the right way around when the wand is
placed in the exhaust the pulse pump will vibrate, if not it won't.
The unit needs to be switched on for at least 20 min before use, well
away from exaust gases, and is then calibrated by setting the needle
to 2% or whatever is marked as ambient on the scale. When the wand is
placed up the exhaust now, you get a reading. Allow 5 min to
stabilise.  If the reading stays at 2% then that is what you've got
and it's about right. Check that the machine is ok by putting on some
choke. The reading should now go sky high.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan