RE: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale

To: "'Graham Stretch'" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>,
Subject: RE: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale
From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:45:51 -0500
I was amazed when I took it apart that it wasn't in worst shape.  From a
design point of view, it looks fine as long as you are in high gear (so
accelerate fast and get into 4th;)  But in 1-3 where the countershaft is
rotating and there is a load on the cluster, I see problems.  The problem
with mine was that the oil slot in the countershaft (layshaft) had
completely filled itself with gunk - this left the bushings running dry and
wore the shaft out.  Judging by the amount of wear on the shaft I am
assuming that this transmission made a lot of noise while in 1st-3rd because
the cluster would have been bouncing up and down.

I've got a 71 tranny on the way - maybe.  I like the looks of the 71 better
because the countershaft uses rollers instead - and the countershaft is a
lot cheaper since it's just a hardened rod.  I bought on ebay for a
reasonable sum, but the seller is trying to charge $50 to ship it - only
seem to have that problem when dealing with businesses on ebay.

I'll keep the original 70 tranny that's currently in the car - just in case
we ever want to put it back in.  My wife's 70 MK3 is about as original as
you can get, so we are trying not to change it too much.

Chuck P