Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:19:50 +0100
Hi Carter
I am not sure about the smaller trannys but the sedan / TR 5 on (and
possibly earlier) trannys can have the caged needle bearing running in the
bore of the gear replaced with a Torrington bearing having its own outer
shell, this will save an otherwise trashed gear cluster. Not sure which way
round they did it but both types are listed for the gearbox, one early one
late, it is common to get the Torrington as a replacement for both early and
late, I think the Torrington is more likely to chew the laygear pin
hardening!

Graham.