RE: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale

To: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>, nass@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
Yah,
But when the needle bearings in the new transmissions
fail, they bugger up the inside surface of the cluster
gear (used as the outer bearing race), rendering it
scrap. Whereas the bushings in the older model can be
renewed.
I'd rather replace a layshaft than a cluster gear any
day. Heck, I can probably make a layshaft; can anyone
make the same claim for a cluster gear?

Obviously, full bearing sets ought to be used inside
the cluster gear instead of just the needle bearings.

I've heard that a band aid is to cryo-treat the whole
gearset, and run a double set of needles inside the
cluster gear, particularly on the small end, where it
usually fails first.

Carter