Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:08:18 +0100
Hi Chuck
You must not overlook the fact that these boxes were designed for the
Standard 8, a little car even by spit standards, with, I think, an 850cc
motor rated at something like 20 - 30 bhp. This box was probably over
engineered for that car, especially if you consider top speed, and therefore
rotational speed (read wear). The most amazing thing is this gearbox
continued to be reworked until the Dolomite 1850 with 91 bhp and 105 lb.ft.
of torque, they can really chew them up!

Graham.