Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale

To: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>,
Subject: Re: { NASS } Early spitfire tranny/parts for sale
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
Yah,
Sorry I was speaking of the transmissions used in
Spitfire and GT6. The later versions use loose needle
bearings, the inner race is the layshaft, the outer
race is the inner bore of the cluster gear (laygear).
I suspect that this was a cost cutting move, rather
than an engineering one. It appears that you could
have the inner bore of the cluster gear bored out to
fit a caged needle bearing set. Maybe even find a
stock bearing that would fit as-is without any machine
work. I di not know the exact dimensions, but the
shaft is around .655", and the bore is around .750". A
quick tour of the Torrington website found several
bearing sets that would fit in this range.
Of course, doing this to save a buggered cluster gear
would probably not be worthwhile, as the damage to the
gearteeth will have already taken place due to
excessive runout when the bearings failed.
Most vendors I've seen show the layshaft available for
around $20-40 US, while the cluster gear is "NLA" or
"call".

Thanks,

Carter

--- Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>