Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos

To: Dan Kroninger <d_kroninger@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 06:15:31 -0700
On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 07:27:44AM -0500, Dan Kroninger wrote:
> Thanks to eveyone who responded to this question.  I think I have a better
> understanding of what is going on with these turbos.  It sounds like it will
> be cheaper to buy the more expensive gas than rebuild the engine.  I agree, if
> I am going to buy the fast car with all the bells and whistles, I might as
> well pay to play with them.  I am still not set on the car, but it will help
> in my decision making.

That is correct.  In fact higher octane pump gas often has slightly less
energy per gallon than regular.  High octane only means that it is less
willing to detonate.

The adjustment that the ECU makes when switching to lower or higher octane
fuel is also not immediate.  Depending on the car it may take a while
to fully settle in to its new parameters.

Eric

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums