Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos

To: Dan Kroninger <d_kroninger@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:15:59 -0700
On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 09:54:11AM -0500, Dan Kroninger wrote:
> The "P.S." part is interesting.  Prolonged boost would only occur from
> aggressive highway driving or street racing, correct.  Normal usuage around
> town or highway cruising would not cause the the turbo to be running high
> boost levels.  Am I correct in this thinking?

Yes.

> I don't want to have to sit in
> a parking lot with the engine running for a few minutes everytime I drive the
> car.  As I understood, the boost only kicks in as needed (aggressive
> accelleration).

Newer turbo cars have water cooled turbo housings which don't get as hot
and will circulate water after the engine is stopped to continue cooling
the hot parts.  So they are less likely to cook the oil in the turbo.

If you cruise the last mile or so to where you're stopping then
there's no need to idle the car.  I have a steep hill to my house
so I let the car idle 30 seconds or a minute.  Usually I am unpacking
my bike from the car, then I go back for my other stuff and turn the car
off.

The timer is kind of a show off thing for modern cars... you don't
really need it, just a bit of awareness.

Eric

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums