[Shop-talk] Shop heating options

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop heating options
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:07:56 -0400
Yeah I know its summer but for me its time to start thinking about
how to heat the new shop.

Background info: 40' x 50' with 12' metal side walls and metal roof,
R4 insulation, clear span and an 18' peak inside with concrete floor.
Also there are 3 turbine vents on the roof for ventilation that could
be closed off during the winter if need be.

There are no walls or barriers inside, its totally open. As far as use
goes the shop is sort of divided in half length wise with one side
being mostly storage and a place to work on large vehicles like a
Motorhome.  Most of the time I will not be working on the storage
side.  The other half will have a mill located towards one end and a
4-post car lift located at the other end.  Typically in the middle of
this area will be a long term project that I will be working on.  The
4-post lift will be used as needed although I will probably not be
using it except when needed.  Occupancy will just be a few hours per
evening during the week and various hours on weekends.

The choices that I'm aware of are gas or electric furnace, overhead
gas or electric infrared heaters, portable or free standing gas or
electric infrared heaters and the old standby bullet or torpedo
propane heaters.

I have no desire to use a torpedo style heater so thats out.  Even
though they are cheaper to operate my preference is to NOT use
anything that uses natural gas (not available anyway) or propane.  So
Ive narrowed it to  some sort of electric heat.

I had been debating on immediately going with a permanent installation
with some kind of overhead infrared heaters but someone I work with
suggested that I buy one or two free standing pole type units
(typically about 15000 btu or 4500 watts) and give them a try before
making a decision of a more permanent nature.  After thinking about it
Im inclined to agree that I should try portable units first and if I
like them either stick with them or upgrade to a more permanent
solution at a later date.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Brad