Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 16:54:21 -0400
I agree.  In fact, I built a stupid little web-sheet for people to see how
much it really means in cost difference.

Here is the link (It's on my website, so it's safe.)

http://www.megageek.com/gas/Page1.htm

But the cost difference between $2.69 a gallon, and $3.00 a gallon
(current gas prices by me,) if you drive 16k miles in a year and you get
25 MPG, then it will only cost you $198.4 dollars A YEAR more for the
premium.

Feel free to use the link to put in the numbers for the car you a looking
at so you can see what it will really cost you (I don't know how much you
drive a year or what milage the car gets.)

The app also puts it into perspective for how to regain that cost.  For
instance, if you stayed home from the movies with you and your SO 5 times
a year, you saved that cost!  8>)

Moose
Waldo Emerson

John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
06/08/2010 16:39

shop-talk@autox.team.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Premium for Turbos

> With some vehicles (normally-aspirated as well as blower) you will hit a
> point in the engine-protection strategy where the resultant reduction in
> spark timing, etc. ends up costing you big-time in driveability or fuel
> economy.

I'm not suggesting you use it unless you need it, but I'd note that the
$.20/gallon extra for premium is, at current $3/gallon gas prices, a
smaller increment as a percentage of the total price than at pretty much
any time (well, except 2008) prior.

John.