Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:52:25 -0600
On Tuesday 22 January 2008 08:42, Mark Andy wrote:
> Boost the signal range... Really?
>
> I've got a wrt54g and the location its in doesn't cover the whole house
> very well.  I've heard about the different firmware's available, but never
> heard that you could boost the signal with them...

Technically illegal, just so you know, adding more power can get you into FCC
issues.  Probably not an issue unless you start interfering with others and
they complain.

I'd try a good antennae first, that can make all the difference.
Do you have a full G version with dual antennae's?

> Can you tell me/us some more info on where to find the firewall firmware?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Funny I am in the same boat of getting wireless up and running.

Here is some info on DD-WRT.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php
http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-12222

Here are a couple of alternatives.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato (easy to use, AJAX GUI)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/ (for advanced users, need to know basic shell)

There seems to be some issues with DD-WRt and GPL licesing, so I think I will
be looking into one of the alternatives.

Some of the issues are listed here,

http://www.bitsum.com/about-ddwrt.htm

Basically it seems that the 'author' of DD-WRT is now breaking  the original
GPL licensing terms (taking someone elses software and calling it their own
and then not releasing the source code).

Funny thing is that this was the reason that DD-WRT was originally forked.
Something to consider if you care about freedoms.

Also I don't like the security implications of not having peer review on
security related code.

http://www.bitsum.com/about-ddwrt.htm

I bought a Linksys wrt54g from Best buy.  I will be returning it since it is a
newer 'G' version which has less flash (and RAM???) than the older versions.
It doesn't run Linux stock, but that can be gotten around by now.
I have ordered a 'GL' version which is the older version that still runs linux
and has more flash.
There are also other alternatives that will run the aftermarket firmware
available if you look.
Something else to consider if purchasing new hardware.

Matt Wehland