Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:27:35 -0500
On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:41 PM, David C. wrote:

> I have been using the Westel Versalink router that came with my DSL
> service
> from Verizon.  I use it wired to my desktop and wireless to the
> laptop.  The wireless range really sucks.  Part of it is probably
> because
> my laptop doesn't have built in WiFi and I'm using a USB dongle to
> connect
> to the WiFi.  However, there are probably lots better routers out
> there,
> too.  Anyone got any recommendations, preferably one that can be
> bought
> locally, for example, at Fry's?

The Linksys WRT54G has been a favorite amongst my geeky friends for
years. I got mine at Staples for $35 or so. They price-matched an on-
line flyer from somewhere.

I had the 'C' version which stands for compact. The range wasn't as
good as the regular external antenna'd one despite what the reviews
said.

jim