Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] OT: Wireless router (again)?
From: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:12:10 -0600
On Tuesday 22 January 2008 17:02, Jack Brooks wrote:
> You can buy "long range" antenna for the WRT54G.  I've seen them at Frys
> Electronics.  They are about 3-4 times longer than the original ones.
> Jack

The big thing to look for in antenna's is whether it is directional or
omni-directional.

Most users want an Omni directional antenna that will cover their whole house
or building.
A directional antenna is great for 2 repeaters (get the antenna's on towers
and have a ball, even a pringles can can work (google pringles antenna).
Also good for providing wireless to a park or certain location from an
adjacent antenna.

If you are going to get an antenna make sure it will help your situation.

Most antenna's that you can find at Fry's etc. should be omni-directional.
If the antenna is a whip your fine, if it is like a can or even a dish it is
more likely directional.

Matt Wehland