Re: Stuck bolt

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Stuck bolt
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:31:04 -0800
> Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>
> Actually the best advice you got was to use the starter motor. Next time
> put the socket on attach the breaker bar, then put a pipe on the handle of
> the breaker bar and set it on the ground(against the engine rotation) turn
> the key for one second and the nut will be loose.  <...>

It might work on most cars, but the Honda engine turns the "wrong way".  Using
the starter to turn the engine would tighten the crank bolt.

Although I admit I was thinking about wiring the starter the wrong way to get
it to
turn the other way, but then I immediately figured that the bendix wouldn't
kick
out, so I gave up thinking about it any more.

Of all the cars I've worked on, this was the hardest crank bolt I've ever had
get out.

One problem I had renting an impact wrench was that nobody at any of the
 Rental shops had any idea of how "powerful" their impacts were.  I know f
rom the ads I saw, 3/4 impacts ranged in strength from 450 to over 1100 ft-lbs.

I got tired of trying to tell the guys at the rental shops that I already had a
600
ft-lb half inch drive and that I needed to know how strong their 3/4 impact
was.
In most of the cases, I could have been telling the guy at McDonald's and
gotten the same response...

Oh well, Now I have to keep my eyes open for a really good deal on an
1100+ ft-lb. 3/4 impact - and convince my wife that I really need one...

Again, Thanks for all the suggestions.  The best suggestion turned out to be:
Keep trying, it WILL come off...

Tim Mullen

PS: The bolt now has "pointed" edges on the tips of the hex head.  The
impact socket that I used was the kind that grips the side instead of the
tips - when I had to use so much force, that the sides where it contacted the
socket are "dented" in, and the metal moved slightly to make the point more
pronounced...   Strange.  The special ordered new crank bolt should be in
today - all the other work is done, and I'm waiting for the new bolt.