RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing

To: "INTERNET:Kellmg@aol.com" <Kellmg@aol.com>, "C Sherriff" <Clives_page@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing
From: "Pete and Fran Thelander" <pthelander@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:39:22 -0800
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Clive

Happy New Year.  Congratulations on being astute and knowledgeable enough
to spot all the fakes on the Coys site listing.  I surely don't know enough
to tell which offerings are the other three "fakes".  I feel in the case of
the "K3 repro", it is being marketed honestly as a reproduction.  It only
becomes a "fake" when someone tries to pass it off as a genuine article.
After all, it is only an example of what the factory did itself in creating
the originals - take the "standard" model and modify it to make it more
competitive.  Certainly many private competitors of the day incorporated
any or all of the factory mods into their own "standard" cars.

What I don't understand, is how someone who has lusted after the genuine
article enough to go to the trouble and expense of building a reproduction
for his own gratification can turn around and sell it. Unless, of course,
he may have over extended his resources and the bill collectors are beating
on his door.  Reality does eventually catch up with us all and the piper
must be paid.

Reproductions of many historic race cars are being created and in many
cases they are actually better than the originals.  Even some historical
original cars have been continually developed until today they are nowhere
near the "original" specs - and much quicker, I might add.  It was
positively frightening to see how fast Sterling Moss was driving a Sebring
Sprite a few years ago at Monterey. (It was the best wheel-to-wheel contest
I have seen.  The other two cars were a Porche 356 of some sort and a
Morgan Plus 4.)  Today almost any Spridget in vintage racing will probably
run circles around one of the Sebring cars built to "original" Sebring
specs.  Thirty years of refinement only can make the already fast faster.

Enough said

Pete

--- Pete and Fran Thelander
--- pthelander@earthlink.net