Replicas, Fakes, & Specials

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replicas, Fakes, & Specials
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:57:24 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I think that most of us are pretty much in agreement over the spirit of
this discussion. That is that one should not knowingly attempt to build,
sell, or otherwise represent a car - any car - as anything it is not.

At one extreme end of this discussion is the person who purposely alters
a vehicle in order to deceive. This reminds me of a recent case where a
J2 was sold at auction purporting to be the missing (9th) J3. The
chassis had clearly been overstamped with a false chassis number. Only
it was not done well nor was it even in the correct locations. Many
other details were also not correct. Unfortunately, this is becoming
more common, due to the value of truly significant, rare, and expensive
cars. This, in my humble opinion, is nothing short of grounds for
criminal prosecution. Much like counterfeiting of currency.

At the other end of the discussion is the auction house that embellishes
descriptions so as to generate more interest in what otherwise is an
honest description of the car (not necessarily the current K3 at Coys).

Then the question becomes what shall we call "original", "replica",
"counterfeit", or "special". Whatever words we choose is really
unimportant, for there are as many shades of meaning as there are
non-original cars. Some in this fraternity, do not even speak English at
all, so how are they to distinguish between various definitions?

What is important is that a set of categories is established and
definitions applied such that everyone understands the use and meaning
WITHIN OUR PARTICULAR CONTEXT. I believe that the Triple-M Register has
done so, whether we individually agree with the choice of words or not.

I quote from the Triple-M Register's definitions:

Special: "A special of no particular style, just one that the owner
likes and not slavishly trying to replicate anything."

replica xx: (note small "r") Shows that the configuration of the car,
either mechanically or bodily, is in the style of "xx" which can, of
course, be any car. This should not be confused with:-

Xx Replica: (note capitalization) Which represents a genuine Works
created Replica. As far as is known only 12/12 M types were manufactured
by the Works as Replicas.

I would suggest one further category. That is a car which has had its
chassis or engine number altered, which in anyone's book can be nothing
more than an attempt to deceive. To this category, I would assign the
word "counterfeit". The official position of the Register is that any
replacement engine or chassis maintain it's original factory-stamped
number. Any replacement without a number, should be left without number.

There is room within these four definitions to encompass all sorts of
variations. However, I would argue against discussing whether the
replacement of a broken or consumable part would constitute categorizing
an otherwise original car as a replica (small "r"), as long at the
replacement is in the style of the original and is not meant to deceive.

In ALL OTHER RESPECTS, I can only suggest that "Let the buyer beware".
Anyone purchasing a car (whatever the make or age) should make
themselves knowledgeable enough as to what is correct, what is an honest
replacement, and what is out-and-out wrong.

Regards,
Lew Palmer