Re: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing

To: Clives_page@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:00:13 EST
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/5/02 23:56:29 Pacific Standard Time,
Clives_page@compuserve.com writes:

<< Enough said,  Its not a big deal I guess, I just think we should all be
 aware
 of the History of reality we are supposed to appreciate and help maintain. >>

I've stayed out of this one because I can appreciate the workmanship to
create the fake.  I used "replica" but as I understand it, only the factory
could have produced a replica as they did with the double 12.
I suppose a replica was created also when the factory produced a new frame
for one of the real K3's.

So what is the opinion of you all when some takes a say NA four seater and
puts a two seater body on it?  Is it then a fake....or removes the factory
supplied body and puts on a pointed tail single seat body as many did in the
30's.......??  Does that mean that these cars are now fakes?

In my on case, I bought a TA in 1986 sight unseen in New Orleans and after
getting it out here to the coast found that it had a spriget engine in
it......the original having been scrapped many years before I bought it.  I
rationalize that what I have is part of my cars history, I wanted a driver so
I kept the 1275........its a "special" I suppose.
Pip runs an extremely modified engine in his P type........does that make it
a fake?

I guess its to each their own.......I think the Register resolved this by
saying if you have the original chassis, you have the car.  If you don't try
to pass off a K1 as a K3, you are not in violation.....now I understand that
someone is producing chassis frames.  In my mind that is where real fakes
come to life.

Cheers
Terry