RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing

To: "'tom metcalf'" <mgtom@bright.net>
Subject: RE: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:27:48 -0600
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of tom metcalf
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 9:01 PM
To: TATERRY@aol.com; Clives_page@compuserve.com
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net

I feel that a person has the right to build or restore anything he wants
with HIS (or her) money, HIS time, HIS research, etc. He or she may be
every
bit as proud as a fake or replica as he would be with the real thing. As
long as it does not infringe on anybody else there should be no problem.

Tom et al,

That's "caveat emptor", and there is another problem besides the one you
mention.

The MG Car Club registers (Triple-M included) tries to maintain an
accurate historical record of cars built and how they currently exist.
No one, with the possible occasional anal-retentive, has any real
problem, with modifying the car in any way that pleases them. That
includes putting on a blower, a pre-selector gearbox, a whole different
body, or whatever. However, for the sake of historical accuracy is
should be so identified - that's all.

A really good example came to light just today. I am in the process of
trying to resolve a case of two J2s both claiming the same chassis
number - one in Japan and one here in the US. It turns out that the
Japan car is a recent purchase from a dealer in England, is correct in
all respects, with as-built equipment, body, engine, etc. However, we
have yet to establish how much of it came from the same car as it's
number would have us believe.

The US car is quite another matter. It was purchased with little more
than an engine (not original to the car), a P-type frame, and precious
little else. It is being rebodied as a J4 replica. But here's the
kicker. ONLY THE DUMBIRON ELBOW (!) is original to the car. It is
correctly stamped (in my estimation by the factory) and has been neatly
grafted onto what is obviously the P-type chassis.

Now who has the correct car? Strictly interpreted, the Triple-M register
rules say he who has the (original) number has the car. But this seems
to test the rules. I'm awaiting an official response from the Register
in England.

Regards,
Lew Palmer