K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing

To: "INTERNET:pthelander@earthlink.net" <pthelander@earthlink.net>
Subject: K3 Fakes Price of everything - Value of nothing
From: C Sherriff <Clives_page@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 02:55:11 -0500
Cc: "INTERNET:Kellmg@aol.com" <Kellmg@aol.com>, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Message text written by INTERNET:pthelander@earthlink.net
>>>Clive, Congratulations on being astute and knowledgeable enough
to spot all the fakes on the Coys site listing  I surely don't know enough
to tell which offerings are the other three "fakes"<

          No need to be astute and I by no means spotted, or tried to spot,
them
all, I just read the descriptions -    "Constructed around a number of
genuine
components" etc and you have a yellow T35 Bugatti!    "It was built
to a limited run of five" by Barrie Price and you are told you
have a fine Type 59 !!!  etc etc
=====================

>>>..... It only becomes a "fake" when someone tries to pass it off as a
genuine
article. After all, it is only an example of what the factory did itself in
creating
the originals - take the "standard" model and modify it to make it more
competitive.  Certainly many private competitors of the day incorporated
any or all of the factory mods into their own "standard" cars. <

             I think you totally miss the point of what originality is -
seeing a race
full of these fakes is no more than the illusion of a Micky Mouse
Disneyland.
Look close to home at the MG T Type racers full of Ford etc  bits and
modern
components.   Great fun for the few drivers participating though.
========================

>>>What I don't understand, is how someone who has lusted after the genuine
article enough to go to the trouble and expense of building a reproduction
for his own gratification can turn around and sell it.<

        Simple - fashion changes and the well heeled owner dumps it like a
Xmas
dog and rushes off to but a boat or whatever happend to be in fashion that
week!    The great enthusiast working to all hours of the night is
generally
a myth here,   Most of these fakes are produced by professional camps and
sold
into the market.   In the case of K3s we know most of the genuine ones.  A
gathering of rare Frazer Nashes or Lotus would produce considerably more
"authenticated" genuine cars than the works ever dreamed of producing!!!
==================

>>>Reproductions of many historic race cars are being created and in many
cases they are actually better than the originals. <

Depends on your definition of Better - A modern steering box perhaps to
ruin
the original feel? A nice 5 litre engine to beef up that old 1100cc job?
So what
else do we need here? - Dead Vertical Leaning Towers at Pisa? a nicer
smile on the Mona Lisa?  a decent pair of shorts on Michelangelos David?

Enough said,  Its not a big deal I guess, I just think we should all be
aware
of the History of reality we are supposed to appreciate and help maintain.

Clive