Refurbishing exhaust manifolds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Refurbishing exhaust manifolds
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 12:24:40 -0600
Looks like another post sent to the wrong address.  IS is really that
hard to figure out?

mjb.
----

    Date: Thu, 13 May 1993 10:49:55 -0400
    From: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu (Ray Gibbons)
    To: british-cars-request@autox.team.net

I used the "stainless steel coating," part 1256, sold by Eastman on the
exhaust manifold of my Bugeye engine (948 stage IV).  I sandblasted it
thoroughly and brushed the coating directly on.  No primer is recommended,
and I doubt if any could stand the heat.  The instructions recommended
baking the manifold in an oven.  I was not sanguine about subjecting the
oven we use for food to whatever vapors might arise, so I didn't do it.  I
let the manifold air dry, and put it on the engine, figuring the baking
would occur when the engine was started.  It has been 9 months and about 800
miles; the manifold still looks good--but I admit I don't spend a lot of
time minutely examining it.  The car is in a garage about 20 miles away; if
the precise condition of the manifold is important to anyone I will examine
it closely next time I have the car out.  I should also say that mine has
not been a very rigorous test; the car is only out on sunny days, and the
engine has yet to be washed.  However, freshly sandblasted cast iron rusts
pretty fast just from humidity, and the coating seems to be protecting it.
 One can is enough for 3 or 4 manifolds.

Ray Gibbons, <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
UVM Medical Research Facility
55A South Park Dr.